Saturday, January 10, 2015

Meeting my friend Mr. Gohan

Today will be a memorable day.

I had my last lunch and conversation with my long time friend, Gohan-san.  (Gohan is rice in japanese.  Gohan-san is the nickname I came up with for my friend a long time ago, and so for his privacy I'm using it for this post . . . though anyone who knows him will know exactly who I'm talking about).

We had a blast talking about the past!  He revealed to me that we've known each other for more than 9 years.  I couldn't believe it - but it's true!  We first met 9 years ago freshman year in our first Japanese class.  Since then we've shared a number of experiences: going on a class trip to Japan, participating in theater club together and, of course, being in the same Japanese class for 4 years in a row.  ^__^  Yes, good times...

Tomorrow, Gohan-san will be moving to California to work at Intel.  Since his new job won't use his Japanese skills, he believes his Japanese skills will decline.  Unfortunately, that's the sad reality for us if we don't practice our language abilities.

In fact, that is my fear for my own language ability.  Especially now that I've embarked on a new career path into occupational therapy.  When I write my Japanese posts now, I have to constantly use various resources to write a short, simple paragraph!  T__T

But I can't give up.  Just because I've started studying to become an OT doesn't mean I have to stop my Japanese studies!  If I keep practicing, I know I definitely won't forget what I've learn!

Because I only have myself to blame if I forget my Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment